The Embassy of Denmark in Cairo is seeking a dynamic and proactive Political Officer to be part of a vibrant workplace.
About the role
As part of the Political team, the Political Officer will deal with the Embassy's political work within a wide range of themes including domestic, regional and international issues and be in dialogue with multilateral, state and non-state actors. The Political Officer will also be involved in the Embassy's reporting to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other Danish authorities, as well as high-level visits to and from Denmark.
The position will give you an exciting opportunity to work in a diverse, intercultural, and dynamic work environment with a wide range of tasks. The Embassy offers flexible working conditions, a competitive employment package, and great opportunities for further development of your professional and personal competences.
- Draft internal and external communication, including cables, analytical reports, flash news reports, minutes of meetings and background briefings.
- Conduct research on relevant political, SDG-related, economic and social developments.
- Maintain and expand the Embassy’s network.
- Administer the Embassy’s multilateral grant portfolio.
- Attend conferences and events relevant to the Embassy’s political department in Egypt and/or Denmark.
- Key role in planning and executing delegation visits to Egypt and Denmark.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have solid analytical and research skills.
- In-depth political understanding.
- Have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Be dynamic, results-oriented, and a good team player.
- Have an outgoing personality with the ability to make new contacts to external actors.
- Be professional and have a high degree of integrity.
- Be flexible and able to contribute on a broad range of the embassies tasks.
- Relevant experience in the political field, preferably at embassies, international organizations, or think tanks.
- A Master’s Degree in a relevant field of study – preferably Political Science, International Relations, or Law.
- Fluency in English and proficiency in one of the Scandinavian languages (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Danish and Egyptian society and politics.
- Essential computer skills, including MS Office.
Desired Qualifications (Not necessary)
- Arabic language skills.
- Experience with development grants and projects.
Employment Conditions, salary, and compensation
The Embassy offers attractive and flexible working conditions and a competitive salary package:
- Your standard working hours will be 37 hours per week with a large degree of flexibility in organizing your daily working hours.
- You will be entitled to annual paid holiday as per legally binding labor market rules of Egypt and the Embassy’s staff rules.
- You will be offered reasonable coverage of sickness expenses.
- Your salary will be within the Embassy’s salary policy, and will reflect your qualifications and relevant experience. As part of your salary, you will be covered by a workplace pension scheme.
- This is a fixed-term contract for a period of two year, with the possibility of extension.
Application and recruitment process
- To apply for the position, please forward your application in English no later than 27 July 2020 at 12.00 noon. The application must include a CV (maximum 2 pages) and a cover letter (maximum one page). Incomplete or late applications may not be considered.
- Selected candidates will be invited for interviews expected to take place beginning of August. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Embassy is obliged to follow EU-rules of handling personal information (GDPR) when we receive and process job applications. Applicants who are Danish nationals (with NemID) thus must apply differently than applicants from outside of Denmark.
How to Apply
- Applicants with Danish NemID: The application must be send to the Embassy through e-Boks. Applications through e-Boks/Borger.dk must be send to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Udenrigsministeriet) with the recipient marked as “Cairo” and the subject “Political Officer – your name”
- Applicants living outside of Denmark who do not have NemID: The application should be send via e-mail to email@example.com (marked “Political Officer – your name”).
- The chosen candidate must present a “No Criminal Record”, pass security clearance by the Danish authorities prior to appointment and have an Egyptian work permit (if necessary).
- The Embassy attaches great importance to equal opportunities for all and therefore welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of race, sex, religion, age or disability.
Questions regarding the position
- If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Louise Marie Lunn Haubro, Political Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information about the Embassy, please see Website